Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Notes From My Desk: Anger Management and The Literary Boyfriend


So I have read a lot of books lately where I have been feeling nothing much in the romance category.  I was making myself lunch one day, pondering my predicament and had a pure “Eureka!”moment.  I do not dig this trend of guys being jerks to girls in books, and then suddenly they are in love and a perfect gentleman.  I don’t get it.  And I don’t really think that I should.  This post isn’t really about those books that have caused this rant, because at Where the Mome Raths Outgrabe, we (being myself, alone) like to focus on the positive.  So I wanted to spend some time talking about a few books/series that the male love interest is not a tool.  Ever.  Because in real life, if a guy is a jerk to you, YOU SHOULD NOT LIKE HIM.

The Chemical Garden Trilogy by Lauren DeStefano

While I admit Gabriel is a bit underdeveloped in the personality department, he still is not anything besides helpful and caring.  None of this inappropriate anger for any reason.  No rage filled glances in the main characters direction in the middle of “inane activities of the day.”  Just pure, 100% solid guy awesomeness.  Even Linden, who our heroine Rhine was forced into marriage with, is kind of a good guy.  He’s nice, just kind of stupid and under his evil mad scientist father’s control.  Rhine has nothing but stand up dudes pining for her.  Not to say she doesn’t have other issues in the book; that make the series quite boring.  But her problems are never her love interests’ behavior.  To sum it up: Rhine’s got ninety-nine problems, but a douche boyfriend ain’t one.

The Goddess Test Trilogy by Aimee Carter

I honestly think Aimee Carter did a beautiful job in the second book with real human relationship problems.  Kate has to deal with insecurity and jealousy after meeting her brand-spanking-new husband’s ex wife.  What?  A real life nightmare in the context of teen paranormal book?  Hell yes!  I love when books make boring and mundane everyday problems magical!  But let’s go back to the first book, where Kate and Henry first meet.  He’s quiet, aloof, and the God of Hell.  And not a total prick.  No, Henry has been burned by love in the past and is reluctant to open himself up to new possibilities, but does it without lashing out at Kate.  With the plethora of Persephone myth inspired YA novels, I found Henry an endearing incarnate of Hades, unlike some other versions (I’m looking at you, Meg Cabot _). 

Why are we okay with our make-believe-dudes having anger issues?  This is one of the few things that I do hope stay in the book and don’t jump out of the pages into real life.  I mean, I want some elf to come kidnap me to the Never-Never and tell me I’m a faerie princess as much as the next girl, but he has to be nice about it.  Also, both the above mentioned series have their third installment coming out in this glorious month that has been February!  It may be freezing (at least for me, enjoy your warm weather those who have it) but I will be cozy in bed with Sever and The Goddess Inheritance for at least a little while.
 
Happy reading,






PS:  Did I miss a nice literary guy?  Tell me about him in comments!

2 comments: