Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Notes From My Desk: eHatin'



I really feel I need to get this off my chest and plaster it on the internet.  Here goes:

I hate my eReader.

Yeah.  I said it.  I do.  I would rather have real paper tied together with string and ink on the page than just plastic and more plastic and eInk.  I want to be able to smell the faint tree-like smell of the book.  Is it weird that I smell my books?  You know what. I don’t care.  I smell books and I’m proud.

I am saddened that my eReader smells like plastic. 

So why did I get an eReader?  I thought I could save some money, which I have.  There are several great deals for eBooks.  However, I’ve found most books I want to read COST THE SAME AS AN EBOOK.  OR REALLY CLOSE TO THE SAME.  NOT ENOUGH OF A DIFFERENCE FOR IT TO MATTER.  WELL I GUESS IT MATTERS BUT AAAAGGGH I BE CAPS RAGING. 


I just kept convincing myself I would get used to it after awhile.  Well I haven’t.  It’s been six months and I still heart the real books more.

There.  Frustration out for the interwebz to see.

Final Thought: eBooks get 10 out of 15 toadstools, as they are kind of cool
                          Real books get ALL OF THE TOADSTOOLS

4 comments:

  1. Don't worry, you are not the only one to smell books :)
    I'm actually considering getting an eReader, because so many very cheap e-books, but I just can't find the right one..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I didn't really feel like any of the eReaders were a perfect fit beforehand either. I went with the Nook because it was less expensive than the Kindle and had the basic features I wanted. I hope you fall in love with whichever one you end up with!

      Delete
  2. I like the convenience of my eReader (kindle) and they do have some freebies/great deals on some books. But I am definitely partial to the smell and feel of a "real", paper, bound book. I will go into bookstores just for that. I love working at my library for that reason. :) I, too, am a book smeller. I even made my son smell a book recently, so there's a good chance he'll be one too. lol

    :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those freebies were the temptations. And I have to admit I loved Feed, which I probably wouldn't have read if it wasn't a $3 deal. I just miss that feeling of completion you get after you shut a real book. On the eReader its like: The End and...nothing. Just go back to the library. Maybe if it said congratulations or something and spouted off some fireworks I'd be happier, haha.

      Delete