Thursday, August 16, 2012

Review: Hourglass by Myra McEntire

 Hourglass (Hourglass, #1)
Hardcover, 390 pages
Published June 14th 2011 by Egmont USA

For seventeen-year-old Emerson Cole, life is about seeing what isn't there: swooning Southern Belles; soldiers long forgotten; a haunting jazz trio that vanishes in an instant. Plagued by phantoms since her parents' death, she just wants the apparitions to stop so she can be normal. She's tried everything, but the visions keep coming back.

So when her well-meaning brother brings in a consultant from a secretive organization called the Hourglass, Emerson's willing to try one last cure. But meeting Michael Weaver may not only change her future, it may also change her past.

Who is this dark, mysterious, sympathetic guy, barely older than Emerson herself, who seems to believe every crazy word she says? Why does an electric charge seem to run through the room whenever he's around? And why is he so insistent that he needs her help to prevent a death that never should have happened?


(summary grabbed from GoodReads)

Since this is my first review, I should establish I am not a hard person to please. I can and have enjoyed most everything I have read in some shape or another. This has held true with Hourglass - I did enjoy the book. I found the story intruging, the ideas on time travel fairly original, and the book had a nice pace. I want to write a positive review, but there was very little that I loved. I can't say I have exceptionally strong feelings for Hourglass.

However, I can clearly list quite a few things that I did not like. Nothing that would be a deal breaker where I wouldn't even finish the book, but just things that irked me throughout. For example: I don't like the main character, Emerson Cole. She is in definite need of anger management and way too prone to putting up her fists. A lot of her actions seemed to me to be inappropriately violent.

The over-elaborate descriptions of every character's beauty were also a little much (seriously, every character had movie star looks). I also felt that the characters were just very shallow. I hate to sound like a negative Nancy with my complaining, especially since I did enjoy the book enough to pick up the sequel, Timepiece. It is a fun read with a trope not seen too often in YA literature. If you are looking for a thought provoking plot with intricate characters that will pull you in all directions and leave you needing more, this may not be the book for you. It was not that book for me. BUT! If you want a quick read for a rainy day, Hourglass may be what you're looking for.

Final Thought: 3 out of 5 toadstools

Review also availalbe on GoodReads

No comments:

Post a Comment